The Mad-City Ski Team welcomes skiers of all ages and abilities to join the team. Whether you’re new to skiing or a veteran show skier, you’ll find a place to fit in on the team. The team also needs a variety of support personnel to ride in boats, announce and help out on the docks.
The membership requirements to join the ski team are listed below:
- Complete the team’s membership packet – Mad-City Ski Team Membership Packet 2013
- Pay the Team Dues:
- New Member Dues for a Skiing Individual are $100
- New Member Dues for a Family are $180
Families are defined as parents and dependent children residing in the same household and can encompass both skiers and support members. (This is recommended for families with 2 or more skiing members.)
- Supporting Members (non-skiing) dues are $25
- Skiing members must participate in a team committee to meet their work requirement
- Members must help at the Clean Lakes Festival on Saturday, August 24
- Participate in team fund raising (The Pay It Forward program)
- Join USA Water Ski – This organization over sees the competitive sport of water skiing and provides the team with insurance for all of practices and shows. All members (both skiing and support) must join USA-WS. The easiest way to sign up is online via this link. Please include a copy of the email receipt as well as all membership numbers with your Mad-City membership forms. The valid USA-WS membership levels for joining Mad-City are listed here:
- Active Member (25 and Older) – $80
- Under 25 Active – $50
- Family Active (Up to 5 People, Head of Household and Spouse or Dependent Children 17 and Under residing at the same address) – $145
- Join Wisconsin Water Skiing Federation – This organization oversees competitive water skiing in Wisconsin and organizes the State Water Ski Show Tournament. The easiest way to join is also online via this link. Please include a copy of the email receipt as well as all membership numbers with your Mad-City membership forms. For help with the sign up process, see the instructions here. Please note that each family member must have a unique email address for the family sign up process to work.
- Individual – $15
- Family – $30
Please note that members that are under the age of 18 will need to have a parent or guardian join the team as well. They’ll need to at least be a supporting member on Mad-City. They’ll also need to join USA Water Ski (as an Active member – easiest way is to join USA-WS with a family membership) and the Wisconsin Water Ski Federation (with a family membership). Members under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a parent at all team related functions.
Work Requirement – Being on a ski team takes a lot of work both on the water skiing and off the water behind the scenes. Part of our membership requirements are that all skiing members (or their parents) contribute by participating on a team committee. The committees range from equipment to costumes to fundraising. In addition to the committee work, we also need skiing members (or their parents) to work a shift at the concession stand we staff for UW Football games. It is one of our biggest fund raisers of the year. Finally, the team has our Clean Lakes Festival that we need everyone to be at. It is the team’s biggest fund raiser of the year and also raises money to help clean up the Madison area lakes. It has learn to ski clinics, canoe and kayak races, a barefoot figure-8 tournament, 5k race, sail boat races, bands, food and a beer tent.
Your skiing ability will determine where you fit in with the team to start with:
- Experienced Show Skiers – For members that are an experienced show skier, they’d likely start out with our main (competitive) team. It practices Tuesday through Thursday evenings during the week in the summer and has our main show on Sunday’s at 6pm (there are also a few Wednesday night shows too). There are some Saturday morning practices (mainly before a tournament). In addition to the normal weekly shows, they’ll compete at a tournament in Janesville (recently it’s been the final weekend in June), the Wisconsin State Show Ski Tournament (normally the 3rd full weekend of July) and at the National Show Ski Tournament (normally the 2nd full weekend of August). See below for dates for each of the tournaments.
- New to Water Skiing and Show Skiing – For members that are new to water skiing and show skiing, they’d start out on our Junior Team. It is geared towards developing our younger and/or newer members. It provides opportunities for members to work on skills that they may not be able to work on much with the main team. It practices on most of the Monday nights throughout the summer and some Saturday mornings. The Junior Team performs a show at 5:30 on Sundays before our main show. Although most of the people skiing with the junior team are our younger members, there are always some older/newer members that practice with them. In addition, there are routinely experienced members there to help out by basing pyramids or bracing to people as they learn ballet holds.
- Experienced Skier New to Show Skiing – For members that are experienced skiers but are new to show skiing, they’d likely spend time with both the full team and the junior team. The additional water time with the junior time will allows them to learn and work on show skiing skills that you probably haven’t tried before.
There are some members that are on the main team only, some on the Junior Team only and some are on both. It varies based each skier’s level of ability.
The team does practice in the winter. In a gym, we teach new members how to climb pyramids, learn doubles moves, etc. To participate in the practices, you must have a current active USA Water Ski Membership.
Some important dates for 2011 ski season:
- Mercury Open (Janesville Ski Tournament) – June 29 – 30 (Sat & Sun)
- Wisconsin State Water Ski Show Tournament (located in Wisconsin Rapids, WI) – July 18 – 24 (Thur – Sun)
- National Water Ski Show Tournament (located in Rockford, IL) – August 9 – 11 (Fri – Sun)
- Clean Lakes Festival (Olin Park, Madison, WI) – Saturday, August 24
You can view the team’s full calendar (practices, shows, tournaments, etc) online here.
If you have any other questions or want to join, please contact the team via the Join button below. Be sure to include some information about your skiing abilities so we can answer your questions appropriately. Thank you for interest in joining the Mad-City Ski Team!